Thursday 1 July 2021

Keeping Real in an Unreal World



"Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.”


― Zhuangzi, The Butterfly as Companion: Meditations on the First Three Chapters of the Chuang-Tzu

I love this quote as it highlights that inner, burning question so many of us have asked. Who are we, and what is real and what is life about? The state of the world at present in some way feels surreal and unreal, so how can we stay real when chaos surrounds us?

Although finding these answers is perhaps a life time quest, I do believe that we know deep down when we hear truth. There is an inner ding, an inner radar that alerts us to something that is real. When we are the receiver of an act of kindness it feels real, it feels true. When we hug someone its easy to tell if they are loving it or feeling awkward. When someone is lying to us, part of us knows, even if we choose to believe them because its easier. 

So what is the part of us that deciphers truth and what is real? It's the part of us that observes, its the part of us that watches life unfold from a silent space within. Its the part that whispers 'you will be okay' when you are challenged beyond your comfort zone. 

I remember a car accident I had in 1988. I was hit from behind when I was sitting stationary in traffic at great force. My head connected with the steering wheel and I heard a loud, deep voice in my head simultaneously say ' You will be okay' Whether it was a Spirit Guide or my own higher self, I am not sure but I did appreciate the words at the time.  I suffered concussion and the car was a right off but ultimately, I was okay. 

It's the part of us that guides us subtlety even when we are not aware, Like the time I had a strong feeling to walk a different way home, not really knowing why. I discovered a man passed out on the footpath with a head wound. I was able to ring an ambulance and get him to safety.  How often are we getting guided without us knowing we are. There is so much more to each and every one of us and to the universe at large, that we have barely scratched the surface of.

So how can we stay real in an unreal world? Stay in alignment with higher vibrations such as kindness, compassion, truth and non judgement. If we can wake up in the morning and ask ourselves, how can I contribute to the world today, Maybe it will be as simple as smiling at a stranger or picking up some rubbish in a park or paying a kindness forward. 

Every time we act from love, we naturally feel good, its a normal state of being that often we have forgotten. Whatever we are focusing on becomes our reality so I try to remind myself to focus on what feels good. Not always easy but its a work in progress. Maybe we really are a butterfly dreaming we are a human. 














2 comments:

  1. Thanks Liz Beautiful I do hope I’m human though Ha ha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a butterfly may not be such a bad thing! x

    ReplyDelete